Opening Ceremony of Geneva Peace Week
Tuesday 5 November 2019
Maison de la Paix, Graduate Institute, Auditorium Ivan Pictet
Walking back from the brink: Questions and answers for a new generation of peacebuilding
As peace and security challenges multiply, Geneva Peace Week creates the space for concrete action in a rapidly changing world. The week will discuss peacebuilding in Europe, the interrelationship between humanitarian work, human rights, and peace, and the definitions of truth and trust, among many topics. This November, experts, activists, and decision-makers will converge in Geneva to help forge the new partnerships that the world needs.
The Opening Ceremony examines the key themes shaping Geneva Peace Week in 2019. It is also the major networking moment for actors working on peace and security issues in Geneva. Join us.
16.00 - 16.50 : Facilitated Networking Event
For more information and to register, click here.
17.00 - 18.45 : Opening Ceremony
Auditorium Ivan Pictet
Official speeches opening Geneva Peace Week 2019
- Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General,United Nations Office at Geneva
- Krystyna Marty Lang, Deputy State Secretary, Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
The GPW19 Opening Roundtable
- Global perspectives on peacebuilding - Ela Gandhi, granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi (Durban, South Africa)
- Building peace in Europe - Mohammad-Mahmoud Ould Mohamedou, Graduate Institute (Geneva, Switzerland)
- Multilateralism in transition - Martin Doe Rodriguez, Senior Legal Counsel at the Permanent Court of Arbitration (The Hague, Netherlands)
- Humanitarianism and peace - Mr Elhadj As Sy, Secretary-General, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (Geneva, Switzerland)
What’s your Geneva Peace Week? Interactive segment with the audience on ‘what are you putting into GPW19?’ and 'what do you hope to takeaway from GPW19?’
Reflection through music
- Karim Wasfi, Founder of Peace through Arts, Cellist, Former Conductor, Iraqi National Symphony Orchestra
Concluding reflections and invitation to the Opening Reception
- Mauro Poggia, Conseiller d'Etat in charge of the Department of Security, Employment and Health of the Republic and Canton of Geneva
The Opening Ceremony is moderated by Claudia Seymour and Achim Wennmann (both with the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform, and the Graduate Institute’s Centre on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding, CCDP).
18.45 - 20.00: Opening Reception
Petales 1 and 2
The Opening Reception is hosted by the Swiss Confederation, the Republic and Canton of Geneva, and the City of Geneva.
Attendance is free but registration is mandatory.